I love fennel!! I look forward to finding this delicious, versatile vegetable in the grocery store each summer. If you are a fennel fan like I am, I have a recipe for you!!
Combining one of my favorite vegetables with an easy one pan meal is not only a win in the kitchen but a fantastically easy meal to prepare. The best part is, the leftovers (if you have any) the next day are equally delicious and can be used many ways. Recently, my dear friend Sarah Fragoso and I have discovered this dish can be morphed into an amazing gourmet fennel pizza using cauliflower pizza crust! Check out that creation here.
I planned for the photo above to have beautiful slices of chicken atop the balsamic flavored fennel, but in the throws of pizza making, and excited for the gourmet fennel chicken pizza, the chicken was cubed. Thus, the one pan meal was created. Feel free to serve the chicken either way for your replication; either way the taste is bar none! Two delicious meals from one great dish!
Fennel Balsamic Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon McCormick's chicken seasoning
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoons Ghee
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 inch medium fennel bulbs sliced 1/4 thick
- 1-2 inch small onions sliced ½ thick
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons crushed walnuts
- Place the chicken in a zip-top bag (or between two sheets of plastic wraon a cutting board.
- Pound to a fairly even ⅓-inch thickness and season one side of the chicken breast with the McCormick's chicken seasoning and the other side generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place ½ tablespoon of the oil and the chicken in the cast iron skillet and cook the chicken until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside to rest.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon Ghee to the hot cast iron skillet. Then add the fennel, onion, and oregano. Sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion and fennel begin to caramelize.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds more.
- Add the broth, bring to a boil, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the broth has evaporated.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cube the chicken and add the chicken back into the pan. Stir to combine and sprinkle with basil and walnuts when serving
Join My Up-Level Tribe
It all begins with making the decision to consciously shift and up-level your life! Click here to subscribe for weekly tips in discovering your authentic AMAZINGNESS!!! ~ Michele